FHB Management (MGMT)
|MGMT Research Area Committee Members as of: 1/1/23|
|Chair, Kaitlyn Bissonnette, Cotton Inc.|
|Vice-Chair, Alyssa Koehler, University of Delaware|
|Christina Cowger, USDA-ARS|
|Erick De Wolf, Kansas State University|
|Briana Whitaker, USDA-ARS|
The FHB Management (MGMT) research area supports research to develop effective and economical disease management practices that reduce FHB severity and mycotoxins in small grain crops to meet the immediate and long-term needs of the wheat and barley industries.
This research area involves:
- tillage practices, crop sequences, and other cultural practices targeting Fusarium-infested residues;
- fungicides and biocontrol agents with demonstrated field efficacy, and their application technologies;
- the refinement and deployment of disease prediction and forecasting models, and disease management decision tools; and
- studies of pathogen survival, inoculum production, dispersal, infection, colonization, mycotoxin production, fungicide sensitivity, and factors accounting for unacceptable levels of mycotoxins in symptomatic or asymptomatic grain.
NOTE: Priority will be given to multi-PI, collaborative, integrated pre-proposals that address the research priorities listed below. Project pre-proposals pertaining to integrated management (IM) studies will be developed as a multi-PI, collaborative, integrated proposal. The coordinator for the Integrated Management Coordinated Project (IM-CP) is listed below the FY22 Research Priorities.
FY22 Research Priorities Derived from the Action Plan Goals:
- Develop integrated management strategies for FHB and mycotoxins that are robust to conditions experienced in production fields of wheat and barley.
- Develop and validate the next generation of management tools, forecasting models, and fungicide application technologies for FHB and mycotoxin control.
- Enhance communication and end user education/outreach.
- Investigate how genotypic and phenotypic diversity in populations of FHB-causing Fusarium, and Fusarium species complexes, influences the management of FHB. Priority aspects of pathogen diversity include fungicide sensitivity, mycotoxin profiles, and ability to cause severe disease on widely used sources of genetic resistance in wheat and barley. (Collaborative Goal with PBG)
- Document how cropping system factors (climate, residue management, crop rotation) influence both the frequencies of Fusarium species causing FHB within an area and the risk of severe disease. (Collaborative Goal with PBG)
|Coordinator of the Integrated Management
Coordinated Project (IM-CP)
1680 Madison Ave.
Dept. of Plant Pathology
Ohio State University
Wooster, OH 44691
PH: (330) 263-3842
|Summary of Funding|
|FY22 (2022-23)||FY21 (2021-22)|
|Number of Projects:||8 (includes 4 multi-PI projects)||5 (includes 2 multi-PI projects)|
|Number of PIs:||7||4|
|Total Award Amount:||$267,379||$145,213|
|% of Total Funding:||3.09%||1.67%|
Workshop/Planning Meeting Reports
- NASS Grower Survey Planning Meeting Report, January 25, 2013
- Report: 2008 USWBSI MGMT Planning Meeting
Integrated Management Reports/Updates Reports posted for past 5 years, prior reports available in the USWBSI Documents Database.
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Integrated Management Trials 2022 Posted: 03/08/2023
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Uniform Fungicide Trials 2022 Posted: 03/08/2023
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Integrated Management Trials 2018-2021
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Uniform Fungicide Trials 2018-2021
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Integrated Management Trials 2018-2020
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Uniform Fungicide Trials 2018-2020
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Integrated Management Trials 2018-2019
- Fusarium Head Blight Management Coordinated Project: Uniform Fungicide Trials 2018-2019
- Robust Management Programs to Minimize Losses due to FHB and DON: A Multi-state Coordinated Project (2015 Report)
- USWBSI Supported Uniform Fungicide Trials – 2014 Final Report
- Best-Management Practices for FHB and DON: A 2014 Multi-State Project Update
- Report: 2013 Uniform FHB Integrated Management Trials
- 2017 Report for the Joint Univ. of Delaware/Univ. of Maryland FHB Screening Nursery
- 2016 Report for the Joint Univ. of Delaware/Univ. of Maryland FHB Screening Nursery
- FHB Management ScabSource Publications
- 2019 Fusarium Head Blight Screening Nursery Factsheet (Maryland)
- Article written by USWBSI pathologists about ASA Webinars on Managing FHB in Wheat
- 2018 Fusarium Head Blight Screening Nursery Factsheet (Maryland)
- FACT SHEET: Fusarium Head Blight Management in Wheat
Published by University of Delaware, Cooperative Extension
- Best Methods for Applying Fungicide to Grain Heads Using Air-assist Sprayers An NDSU Extension Publication
- Wheat Fusarium Head Blight (FHB) Widespread in Kentucky
Wheat Science News, Vol. 13, Issue 2, 6/4/09
FHB Forecasting Models
- North Dakota State University - https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/cropdisease/
- Penn State University - FHB Risk Tool: http://www.wheatscab.psu.edu
- Minnesota Assoc. of Wheat Growers - Scab Epidemic Risk Tool: http://mawg.cropdisease.com/