Food Safety and Toxicology (FST)
|FST Research Area Committee Members as of: 1/1/21|
|Chair, Dave Kendra, BASF Plant Science LP, RTP, NC|
|Vice-Chair, Paul Schwarz, North Dakota State University|
|Anthony Adeuya, US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), College Park, MD|
|Dojin Ryu, University if Idaho|
The Food Safety and Toxicology (FST) research area supports research on food safety and food processing issues related to the presence of Fusarium spp. mycotoxins in wheat and barley grain. Practical outcomes of research in this area include: 1) improved toxicological data to assure that current guidelines are providing the appropriate safety factors for the consumer; 2) analytical tools that can be used by small grain producers, elevators, millers, and processors, to rapidly and reliably identify mycotoxin-contaminated grain; 3) develop appropriate strategies to deal with contaminated grain; and 4) diagnostic data on Fusarium spp. mycotoxins required for development of FHB resistant/tolerant varieties of wheat and barley.
- Provide analytical support for DON/trichothecene quantitation for the Initiative’s stakeholders.
- Support research on DON/trichothecene safety that is needed by producers, grain processors, researchers, risk assessors, and regulators.
Current version of Action Plan (Updated: 5/31/19)
- Expansion of internal hyphal growth in Fusarium Head Blight infected grains contribute to the elevated mycotoxin production during the malting process
Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, March 2021
- Clove oil-in-water nanoemulsion: Mitigates growth of Fusarium graminearum and trichothecene mycotoxin production during the malting of Fusarium infected barley
Food Chemistry, May 2020, Volume 312
- Mycotoxins in Canada: A Perspective for 2013 Posted: 12/20/13
- Update on Acetonitrile shortage - NDSU DON Testing Lab. (Posted: 1/27/09)
- Sampling Grain for Deoxynivalenol (DON) Analysis: A Researchers Guide (PDF) (Posted: 7/16/07)
- Grain Sampling for DON Analysis (PDF) (Posted: 6/28/07)
- DON White Paper - Deoxynivalenol: Known Facts and Research Questions (PDF)
- Memo from Co-Chairs: Update on DON Testing Labs (Posted: 2/28/07)
- CODEX Document on DON (PDF) - see pages 8-9.
- DON (Vomitoxin) in Wheat