Hard Winter Wheat Coordinated Project (HWW-CP)
|Hard Winter Wheat Coordinated Project Committee Members as of: 1/1/22|
|Chair, Jessica Rupp, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS|
|Shaukat Ali, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD|
|Sunish Seghal, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD|
The HWW-CP is an efficient coordinated project that will measure its success by reducing DON in the hard winter wheat grain supply to the food grade level acceptable in the European Union (EU). This level is currently lower than the US standard. Because half of our grain is exported and the majority of it shipped to the EU, the risk is that it can be sourced from high scab areas within the HWW region (e.g. the Eastern Great Plains). As the popularity of whole grain products increases, our goal is to ensure that the DON concentration in these products is also below established thresholds. Based upon the timelines expected for success in reducing DON, the HWW-CP includes the scientific activities of plant breeders, pathologists, geneticists and supporting research programs. We coordinate with disease management efforts because we realize that in addition to improved varieties, improved management will optimize project success (as measured by reducing DON) within expected timelines. HWW-CP germplasm and information are publicly available and made available to other participating researchers in other research areas of the USWBSI. The HWW-CP remains focused on reducing DON levels as quickly as possible and by using the most efficacious methods to do so (breeding and management). Membership in the HWW-CP includes all researchers currently funded within the CP, individuals designated as representatives from other research areas of the USWBSI, all interested FHB researchers who may or may not be funded by the USWBSI, stakeholders representing members from groups that fund our research (e.g. the KS, NE, SD, ND, TX, and MT Wheat Commissions), and members of groups that are key to our industry and who non-monetarily support HWW-CP research. These are “independent” stakeholders, such as major mills and bakeries, private wheat breeders, and chemical company representatives.
The HWW-CP is organized around two of the research areas – Variety Development and Host Resistance (VDHR) and FHB Management (MGMT) as outlined in the USWBSI Action Plan. Three major objectives and associated research activities have been established within this CP. In addition, the HWW-CP works closely with other USWBSI Research Areas (RAs) to support the stated goal of reducing DON levels specified by the EU. Specifically, the HWW-CP works most closely with the MGMT RA.
Variety Development and Host Resistance (VDHR) and FHB Management (MGMT)
|Objective 1.||Increase and document the number of varieties with improved FHB resistance and high grain yield and grain quality that are tested in statewide variety trials and available to farmers, to reduce DON in the US grain supply.|
Associated Research Activities:
|Objective 2.||Evaluate and implement new breeding technologies and germplasm to further enhance short-term and long-term improvement of FHB resistance and to efficiently introgress effective resistance genes into breeding germplasm.|
Associated Research Activities:
|Objective 3.||Enhance communication and coordination to increase the impact of our research beyond the region.|
Associated Communication Activities:
Associated Coordination Activities:
|Summary of Funding|
|FY22 (2022-23)||FY21 (2021-22)|
|Number of Projects:||10||11 (includes 1 multi-PI)|
|Number of PIs:||10||9|
|Total Award Amount:||$637,226||$558,699|
|% of Total Funding:||7.36%||6.45%|
Workshop/Planning Meeting Reports
- Report: 2021 USWBSI Hard Winter Wheat CP Planning Meeting Posted: 6/14/21
- Report: 2017 USWBSI Hard Winter Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2015 USWBSI Hard Winter Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2011 USWBSI Hard Winter Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2009 USWBSI Hard Winter Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report from 4-08 HWW-CP Planning Meeting
Hard Winter Wheat Nursery Reports/Updates Reports posted for past 5 years, prior reports available in the USWBSI Documents Database.
- Reaction of Winter Wheat Accessions to Fusarium Head Blight, 2020 - Northern (ND, MT, and SD), Central (CO, KS, and NE)and Southern (OK and TX) Posted: 07/30/21
- Reaction of selected winter wheat accessions to Fusarium head blight (FHB), 2020. Posted: 07/30/21
- Reaction of Kansas Interstate Nursery winter wheat accessions to Fusarium head blight, 2020. Posted: 07/30/21
- Evaluation of foliar fungicides for control of Fusarium head blight, 2020. Posted: 07/30/21
- Reaction of Winter Wheat Accessions to Fusarium Head Blight, 2019 - Southern (KS and NE) and Kansas Interstate Reports
- Reaction of Winter Wheat Accessions to Fusarium Head Blight, 2016 - Northern (ND, SD and MT) and Southern (KS and NE) Reports
- Reaction of Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota winter wheat accessions to Fusarium head blight (FHB), 2015.
- Reaction of Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota winter wheat accessions to Fusarium head blight (FHB), 2014.
- Reaction of Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota winter wheat accessions to Fusarium head blight (FHB), 2013.