Durum Coordinated Project (DUR-CP)
|Durum Coordinated Project Committee Members as of: 1/1/19|
|Chair, Steven Xu, USDA-ARS, Fargo, ND|
|Joel Ransom, North Dakota State University|
|Greg Viers, Barilla America Inc.|
The Durum Coordinated Project (DUR-CP) has been created under the direction of the USWBSI to accomplish the initiative action plans. The DUR-CP’s main objective is to develop FHB resistant durum wheat germplasm (lines/cultivars) with low DON levels, good agronomic traits, and good quality traits that will serve the producers, the domestic pasta industry, and the international export market. Reducing the impact of FHB requires a multidisciplinary effort and therefore the CP includes plant breeders, pathologists, geneticists, agronomists and other researchers working in the area of disease management. The CP also includes stakeholders such as millers and pasta manufactures.
- Search for novel sources of resistance to FHB in durum and its relatives.
- Identify, map, and validate FHB resistance QTL in the newly identified sources of resistance and develop user-friendly molecular markers to assist selection in durum breeding and germplasm development.
- Incorporate FHB resistance QTL from diploid, tetraploid and hexaploid wheat accessions into adapted durum backgrounds and develop elite durum germplasm with the assistance of molecular markers in selection.
- Develop durum varieties with enhanced level of FHB resistance and reduced DON accumulation.
- Investigate genetic mechanism of suppressors and enhancers affecting FHB resistance expression in durum wheat.
- Evaluate chemical management strategies that reduce FHB and/or DON in durum.
- Develop and promote best integrated management strategies to reduce FHB and/or DON in durum wheat.
Current version of Action Plan (Updated: 5/31/19)
|Summary of Funding|
|FY17 (2017-18)||FY18 (2018-19)|
|Number of Projects:||9||9|
|Number of PIs:||7||7|
|Total Award Amount:||$383,278||$414,734|
|% Total Rec. Funding:||6.65%||7.13%|
- Report: 2017 USWBSI Durum CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2015 USWBSI Durum CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2013 USWBSI Durum CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2011 USWBSI Durum CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2009 USWBSI Durum CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2008 USWBSI Durum CP Planning Meeting
- US Wheat, Barley and Durum Variety Scab Resistance Data Interactive Map
- Scab and DON