Variety Development and Host Resistance Spring Wheat (VDHR-SPR)
|VDHR-SPR Research Area Committee Members as of: 1/1/21|
|Chair, Andrew Green, North Dakota State University|
|Jason Cook, Montana State University|
|Juliet Marshall, University of Idaho|
The VDHR research area for spring wheat and soft winter wheat will be organized around participation in the Uniform Nurseries. States will be aligned as follows: Uniform Regional Scab Nursery for Spring Wheat Parents (VDHR-SPR CP) - ID, MN, MT, ND, and SD; Uniform Northern Winter Wheat FHB Screening Nursery (VDHR-NWW CP) - IL, IN, KY, MI, MO, NY, and OH; Uniform Southern Soft Red Winter Wheat FHB Screening Nursery (VDHR-SWW CP) - AR, GA, LA, MD, NC, SC, TX, and VA. VDHR research will be commodity-based in the case of barley, durum, and hard winter wheat coordinated projects.
Each Uniform nursery will be coordinated by a regional committee. Nurseries will be conducted in collaboration with a pathologist wherever possible and a subset of promising entries may be grown at multiple locations in Integrated Management Trials. The nurseries will also be evaluated for milling and baking quality, and haplotyped at the USDA regional genotyping labs. The most promising lines may be entered in the nurseries for a second year of testing at the lines originator’s request. Collaborators will submit candidate parents for crossing, and pre-breeding populations derived from these crosses/populations will be shared. Mapping of new resistance sources will be accomplished through joint phenotyping of populations. All collaborators will screen varieties and breeding lines entered into statewide performance trials for FHB resistance and provide this information to growers.
- Increase and document the number of released varieties from public programs with improved FHB resistance, high grain yield and grain quality that are tested in statewide variety trials and available to farmers, to reduce DON in the US grain supply.
- Increase efficiency of coordinated project breeding programs to develop and release FHB resistant varieties.
- Enhance cooperation and coordination of research among programs. For example, phenotypic data should be uploaded to the T3 database, and early generation populations could be shared among programs. Sharing of DHs funded by the Initiative is another example of cooperation. A coordinated genomic selection program also has the potential to increase efficiency.
- Develop more robust quantitative scoring techniques to reduce reliance on subjective visual scores and increase consistency across research programs.
- Evaluate and implement modern breeding technologies to further enhance short term and long-term improvement of FHB resistance, and to efficiently introgress effective resistance genes into breeding germplasm.
- Enhance selection efficiency through technologies such as genomic selection, marker-assisted selection, doubled haploid production and/or high throughput phenotyping. The utilization of speed breeding techniques where feasible has the potential to increase efficiency.
Current version of Action Plan (Updated: 5/31/19)
|Summary of Funding|
|FY20 (2020-21)||FY21 (2021-22)|
|Number of Projects:||11||11|
|Number of PIs:||10||10|
|Total Award Amount:||$1,087,142||$962,805|
|% of Total Funding:||12.78%||11.12%|
Workshop/Planning Meeting Reports
- Report: 2021 USWBSI Spring Wheat CP Planning Meeting Posted: 6/16/21
- Report: 2015 USWBSI Spring Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2013 USWBSI Spring Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2011 USWBSI Spring Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- Report: 2009 USWBSI Spring Wheat CP Planning Meeting
- 3-31-08 VDHR Spring Wheat CP Planning Meeting Report
- Report for the VDUN 05-18-04 College Station Genotyping Workshop
- Report for the VDUN 05-11-04 Winnipeg Genotyping Workshop
Spring Wheat Nursery Reports/Updates Reports posted for past 5 years, prior reports available in the USWBSI Documents Database.
- 2020 Uniform Regional Scab Nursery for Spring Wheat Parents Report Posted: 03/11/21
- 2019 Uniform Regional Scab Nursery for Spring Wheat Parents Report
- 2018 Uniform Regional Scab Nursery for Spring Wheat Parents Report
- 2017 Uniform Regional Scab Nursery for Spring Wheat Parents Report
- 2016 Uniform Regional Scab Nursery for Spring Wheat Parents Report
- US Wheat, Barley and Durum Variety Scab Resistance Data Interactive Map
- Scab and DON