Pathogen Biology and Genetics (PBG)
|PBG Research Area Committee Members as of: 1/1/20|
|Chair, Todd Ward, USDA-ARS, Peoria, IL|
|Vice-Chair, Tom Baldwin, USDA-ARS, Aberdeen, ID|
|Lisa Vaillancourt, University of Kentucky|
|Martha Vaughan, USDA-ARS, IN|
Research in this area includes studies that address mycotoxin biosynthesis in vivo or in planta, host/parasite interactions, and host resistance mechanisms that target the pathogen. Research in PBG should complement and be linked to whole plant research that will lead to disease control and/or toxin reduction strategies.
- Characterize plant-fungal interactions to identify important genes, proteins or small molecules that may be used to develop FHB resistance or to reduce DON contamination in barley and wheat.
- Gain new understanding of initial fungal infection that may be utilized to boost FHB resistance.
- Discover epiphytic or endophytic microbes or microbial communities and viruses that may be useful for development of effective biological control practices for FHB.
- Develop an improved understanding of plant-pathogen interactions in relation to abiotic factors and identify genes or genetic variants that contribute to pathogen adaptation to wheat and barley agroecosystems.
Current version of Action Plan (Updated: 5/31/19)
|Summary of Funding|
|FY18 (2018-19)||FY19 (2019-20)|
|Number of Projects:||6||5|
|Number of PIs:||6||5|
|Total Award Amount:||$250,182||$254,420|
|% Total Rec. Funding:||4.24%||4.18%|
- Regional and field-specific differences in Fusarium species and mycotoxins associated with blighted North Carolina wheatInternational Journal of Food Microbiology, June 2020, Volume 323
- Variable interactions between non-cereal grasses and Fusarium graminearum
Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, May 2019, Volume 41, Issue 3, Pages 450-456
- Population Genetics of Fusarium graminearum at the Interface of Wheat and Wild Grass Communities in New York
Phytopathology, May 2019, Volume 109, No. 12, Pages 2124-2131
- Surface interactions of Fusarium graminearum on barley
Published in Molecular Plant Pathogology,(2018)19(6), pp. 1332–1342 DOI: 10.1111/mpp.12616
- Report: 2008 USWBSI PBG Planning Meeting
- Gene Sequencing Data - Fusarium graminearum Genomics
- Histology of Fusarium Head Blight - Selected References (PDF)