December 3-5, 2017
Hyatt Regency Milwaukee
In December, the USWBSI will hold its annual conference, the 2017 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum. It will be held at the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Forum is an integral component of the U.S. Wheat & Barley Scab Initiative. Growers and grower group representatives, millers and other food processors, consumers, and scientists (public and private) are all encouraged to attend. Please check back periodically for updated information.
The Forum will begin at 1:00 pm on Sunday, December 3, and end at 12:00 pm on Tuesday, December 5. The program will consist of speaker and poster sessions, and focused group discussions.
General schedule of Forum is below. Click here to view the final program. Posted: 11/27/17
There will be three General Sessions and each session will include a cominbation of long and short, interdisciplinary oral presentations.
|Session 1:||Sunday PM, 12/3|
|Session 2:||Monday PM, 12/4|
|Session 3:||Tuesday AM, 12/5|
|Even Numbered Posters:||Sunday PM (12/3)|
|Odd Numbered Posters:||Monday PM (12/4)|
*Each Poster Session will be preceded by an associated Flash & Dash (F&D) Presentations (see description below).
Flash & Dash are for graduate students, post-docs and early career professionals. Presenters will give a short (5 minute) 'flash and dash' presentation of the work highlighted in their poster prior to the poster sessions. This exercise is expected to increase the visibility of your research, and attract interest to your poster during the poster session. Selection of Flash & Dash Presenters will be based on review of associated abstract or paper. Individuals who indicated interest in giving a F&D Presentations associated with their poster will be notified no later than November 14.
|Scientific Advisory Board Meeting/Wheat and Rice Blast Integrated Project
Saturday, December 2
|The Advisory Board will meet on Saturday, 12/2 from approx. 8 AM to 2:30 PM. Please contact Barbara Valent at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.|
|Wheat Blast Workshop
Sunday, December 3, AM
|The Wheat Blast Workshop will take place Sunday morning prior to the start of the Forum. Please contact Erick DeWolf at email@example.com for more information.|
Wednesday, December 6
|The National Wheat Improvement Committee (NWIC) will meet on Wednesday, Dec. 6. Please contact Robert Zemetra at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.|
The registration fee (US$155.00; US$190.00 after November 10) is handled in conjunction with the on-line registration process (i.e. not through the hotel). Advanced registration is REQUIRED. The registration fee includes the following:
- Forum materials including one copy of the Forum proceedings; and
- Refreshment Breaks and the following Meals:
- Sunday, 12/3 - Dinner
- Monday, 12/4 - Breakfast and Lunch
- Tuesday, 12/5 - Breakfast
To register for the 2017 National FHB Forum, click here.
Cancellations made on or before November 10th will receive a full refund. Cancellations received after November 10th will receive a partial refund (Registration fee -$25.00 USD). No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after November 20th.
HOTEL AND TRAVEL INFORMATION
The Forum will be held at the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, 333 W. Kilbourn Ave, Milwaukee, WI. Participants are responsible for making (and paying for) their own reservations directly with the hotel using a credit card, and are guaranteed special room rates (see rates below) between the dates of November 26 - December 9.
- $94.00+tax/night for singles and doubles
- $114.00+tax/night for triples and quads
These low room rates are based upon the expectation that Forum participants will stay at this hotel. Hotel reservations must be made by Friday, November 17th. After November 17th, the rooms that have been held for the Forum participants at the special rate will be released, and sold on a first come first serve basis.
For more information on room types and amenities, click here.
To Make Hotel Reservations
- Via Web (recommended method): To make your reservations on-line, go to https://aws.passkey.com/go/WBSI2017 and select ´ATTENDEE´ from the drop-down menu in the 'Please select your group type' box.
- Via Phone: Call the hotel at 1-888-421-1442. Inform the reservations agent that you wish to make the reservation under either ´US Wheat&Barley´ or ´USWBSI´ (i.e. group). This will ensure that your reservation is booked under our group with the special room rate.
NOTE: If you are quoted a different rate please contact the organizers.
Traveling to the Forum:
The Hyatt Regency Milwaukee is approximately 10 miles from the General Mitchell International Airport (MKE).
- Airport Shuttle: We have negotiated a discounted rate of $27.00/round trip ($14.00/one-way) with GO Riteway for round-trip shuttle service to/from the Milwaukee Mitchell Airport (MKE) and the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee. Credit cards are required and charged at the time of reservation.
- Make reservation on-line (48 hours or more before travel): Click here to begin making your reservation. Start the reservation by clicking on 'From Airport.' You will be able to select 'One Way' or 'Round Trip' depending on your needs.
- Make reservation by phone (less than 48 hours before travel): Attendees should contact their office via phone at 800-236-5450 or 414-570-5200 if creating reservations less than 48 hours before travel. Provide them with our group code ('USWB') to obtain the negotiated rate.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations made more than 24 hours in advance of arrival will he charged a $5.00 cancellation fee. Cancellation made less than 24 hours in advance usually cannot be refunded.
- By Car: The Hyatt Regency Milwaukee is located downtown at 333 West Kilbourn Ave. To obtain driving directions using Bing Maps, click here.
International Travel Information
International attendees, apply early for your visa as it could take up to 3-4 months to receive a visa. Click here for visa information. If you need a letter of invitation in order to obtain your visa, please contact the Networking and Facilitation Office. Make sure you have registered for the Forum prior to requesting a letter.
Forum participants can report research results in one of the following formats: 1) poster plus associated paper; 2) poster with an associated abstract; or 3) stand-alone paper. For both options 1 and 2, there is the option to indicate interest in giving a Flash & Dash presentation. There is no limit to the number of poster abstracts or papers submitted by one author.
Please click here for more information on the submission of poster/papers for the 2017 National FHB Forum.
The Proceedings, which will be available (electronic format only) prior to the start of the Forum, are not meant to act as a formal scientific reference but rather as a means of increasing communication both during and after the Forum. Readers will be informed that reproduction or referencing of reports can only occur with the author's permission.
The organizers have secured special pricing for tickets to a couple of sporting events (Basketball and Hockey). Both events are within short walking distance from the hotel. See details below including links to where tickets can be purchased on-line.
- Milwaukee Bucks vs. the Sacramento Kings: Saturday, December 2nd, 7:30PM Tip-off. Click here to see 'Premier Tier Group Pricing.' Tickets can be purchased on-line (click on 'on-line' and then enter "WHEAT" in the 'Access an Offer' box) or by completing the Special Order Form and following the submission instructions on the form. The deadline to purchase tickets using the Special Order Form and place order by phone/email (contact Rachel at 414.227.2875 or email@example.com) is Thursday, November 30. Tickets purchased on-line will be emailed. If purchase is made using the special order form, tickets will either be emailed or left at 'Will-Call.' Tickets can be purchased on-line up until the day of the game (12/2).
- Milwaukee Admirals vs. the San Diego Gulls: Tuesday, December 5th, 7:00 PM. Ticket prices start at $18.00. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here. Tickets must be purchased at least two days prior to the game. Individuals who take part in the offer will have their tickets e-mailed to them and have them available on their smartphones when they get to the game!
If your company or organization is interested in sponsoring a portion of the Forum, please contact the USWBSI's Networking & Facilitation office (contact information listed below). Recognition will be given both during the Forum and in the Forum proceedings. Click on sponsor's logo to access their designated Website.
Sponsors as of 11/06/17:
Amercian Malting Barley Association
Minnesota Wheat Research
& Promotion Council
- Visit Milwaukee: The Official Convention and Visitors Bureau Site for Milwaukee
- 10 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions & Things to Do in Milwaukee
- HopHead Tours
- Hours and Location.com - Milwaukee Local Business Directory
|Nov. 6th:||Deadline for registration of Posters/Papers/Abstracts.
Deadline for the submission of abstract and paper content for the Forum proceedings.
|Nov. 10th:||Deadline for Early Registration (Fee: US$155.00)
Last day to receive full refund.
|Nov. 11th:||Late registration begins (Fee: US$190.00)|
|Nov. 14th:||Individuals notified of selection for Flash & Dash Presentations.|
|Nov. 17th:||Last day to reserve hotel room with guaranteed availability and rate.|
|Nov. 20th:||On-line Registration closes.
Last day to receive partial refund.
If you have any questions regarding the 2017 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum, please contact the Networking and Facilitation Office at 517-353-0201 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Mailing address listed below:
USWBSI Networking & Facilitation Office
Plant and Soil Sciences Building
1066 Bogue St., RM 372
East Lansing, MI 48824