FHB Management (MGMT)
|MGMT Research Area Committee Updated: 1/27/16|
|Chair, Andrew Friskop, North Dakota State University|
|Vice-Chair, Carl Bradley, University of Illinois|
|Paul Esker, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica|
|Madeleine Smith, University of Minnesota, Crookston|
|Albert Tenuta, Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Guelph, ON, CANADA|
The FHB Management (MGMT) research area supports research to develop effective and economical disease management practices that reduce FHB severity and mycotoxins in small grain crops to meet the immediate and long-term needs of the wheat and barley industries.
This research area involves:
- tillage practices, crop sequences, and other cultural practices targeting Fusarium-infested residues;
- fungicides and biocontrol agents with demonstrated field efficacy, and their application technologies;
- the refinement and deployment of disease prediction and forecasting models, and disease management decision tools; and
- studies of pathogen survival, inoculum production, dispersal, infection, colonization, mycotoxin production, fungicide sensitivity, and factors accounting for unacceptable levels of mycotoxins in symptomatic or asymptomatic grain.
NOTE: Priority will be given to multi-PI, collaborative, integrated pre-proposals that address the research priorities listed below. Project pre-proposals pertaining to integrated management (IM) studies will be developed as a multi-PI, collaborative, integrated proposal. The Coordinated Project for Uniform Fungicide Trials has been eliminated beginning with FY16. The IM studies will take over the testing of new products as they become available. The coordinator for the Integrated Management Coordinated Project (IM-CP) is listed below the FY16-17 Research Priorities.
- Develop integrated management strategies for FHB and mycotoxins that are robust to conditions experienced in production fields of wheat and barley.
- Help develop and validate the next generation of management and mitigation tools for FHB and mycotoxin control.
- Develop a full understanding of the factors influencing infection and toxin accumulation that can be used to develop the next generation of FHB and DON risk assessment measures.
- Enhance communication and end user education/outreach.
|Coordinator of the Integrated Management
Coordinated Project (IM-CP)
1680 Madison Ave.
Dept. of Plant Pathology
Ohio State University
Wooster, OH 44691
PH: (330) 263-3842
|Summary of Funding|
|FY15 (2015-16||FY16 (2015-16)|
|Number of Projects:||24 (includes 2 multi-PI projects)||26 (includes 3 multi-PI projects)|
|Number of PIs:||17||21|
|Total Award Amount:||$435,218||$475,791|
|% Total Rec. Funding:||8.87%||9.83%|
- USWBSI Supported Uniform Fungicide Trials – 2014 Final Report Posted: 8/30/16
- 2016 Report for the Joint Univ. of Delaware/Univ. of Maryland FHB Screening Nursery Posted: 07/28/16
- Robust Management Programs to Minimize Losses due to FHB and DON: A Multi-state Coordinated Project (2015 Report) Posted: 4/4/16
- Best-Management Practices for FHB and DON: A 2014 Multi-State Project Update
- FACT SHEET: Fusarium Head Blight Management in Wheat
Pulished by Unviersity of Delaware, Cooperative Extension
- Report: 2013 Uniform FHB Integrated Management Trials
- Report: 2013 Uniform Fungicide Trials for Management of FHB and DON
- NASS Grower Survey Planning Meeting Report, January 25, 2013
- Report: 2012 Uniform FHB Integrated Management Trials
- Report: 2012 Uniform Fungicide Trials for Management of FHB and DON
- Report: 2012 Uniform Tests of Biological Control Agents for Management of FHB and DON
- Uniform Fusarium Head Blight Integrated Management Trials: A 2011 Update.
- Uniform Fungicide Tests 2011: Effects of Triazole and Strobilurin Fungicides on Fusarium Head Blight and Associated Mycotoxins.
- Best Methods for Applying Fungicide to Grain Heads Using Air-assist Sprayers An NDSU Extension Publication
- Wheat Fusarium Head Blight (FHB) Widespread in Kentucky
Wheat Science News, Vol. 13, Issue 2, 6/4/09
- Report: 2008 USWBSI MGMT Planning Meeting
- Fusarium Head Blight (Scab) of Small Grains An NDSU Extension Publication
- Recent Changes in the Wheat and Barley Foliar Fungicide Status Quo
- KY Granted Crisis Exemption for Folicur (May 2008)
- Fungicidal Control of Fusarium Head Blight (Head Scab) and Deoxynivalenol (DON) in Wheat
- Report: 2007 USWBSI Biocontrol Workshop
- New Publicatin on Aerial Application of Fungicide on FHB
- NDSU Extension Publication Details Fungicide Spraying for Scab [HTML] [PDF]
- Report: 2006 EEDF Workshop - Factors Influencing DON Accumulation in Wheat Heads
- CBCC Integrated Workshop Report - August 10-11, 2006
- Final Report - CBC Application Technology Workshop, February 18-20, 2003
- Histology of Fusarium Head Blight - Selected References
- Report: 2001 Epidemiology Workshop
- Report: 2000 Epidemiology Workshop
- NCR-184 1999 Minnesota State Report - Management of Fusarium Head Blight of Small Grains
FHB Forecasting Models
- North Dakota State University - http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/cropdisease/cropdisease.htm
- Ohio State University - http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/ohiofieldcropdisease/
- Penn State University- http://www.wheatscab.psu.edu
- South Dakota State University - http://plantsci.sdstate.edu/wheatpath/
- University of Minnesota - http://mawg.cropdisease.com/