USWBSI Abstract Viewer

2021 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum

Variety Development and Host Resistance (VDHR)

Poster # 151

Identification of QTL for Type I Resistance to Fusarium Head Blight in Two Spring Wheat Mapping Populations

Authors & Affiliations:

Shaobin Zhong1, Subidhya Shrestha1, Bikash Powdel1, Anil Karmacharya1, Mingxia Zhao 1, Yueqiang Leng1, Joe Mullins1, Chenggen Chu2, Steven Xu2
1. North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota 2. USDA-ARS, Fargo, North Dakota

Corresponding Author:

Shaobin Zhong
North Dakota State University
shaobin.zhong@ndsu.edu

Abstract:

Fusarium head blight (FHB), mainly caused by Fusarium graminearum, is an important disease of wheat and other small grains in North America. Use of resistance is one of the most important components in management of the disease. Although different types of FHB resistance are recognized, only type II resistance (resistance to disease spread) have extensively been studied. This study was focused on mapping QTL associated with Type I resistance to FHB (resistance to initial infection) in spring wheat using 130 doubled haploid (DH) lines from the cross Grandin × PI277012 (GP) and 237 recombinant inbred lines (RILs) from the cross Bobwhite × ND2710 (BN). The GP population was previously genotyped with SSR markers and the 9K SNP chips while the BN population was genotyped with the 90K SNP chips. The two populations were evaluated for type I resistance by spay inoculation in field and greenhouse experiments. For the GP population, QTL analysis using composite interval mapping (CIM) identified three QTL on chromosomes 1A, 4B and 6B, respectively, under field environments, and two QTL on chromosomes 2B and 5B, respectively, under greenhouse conditions. These QTL explained 10.7-19% of the total phenotypic variation. For the BN population tested under field conditions, three QTL were detected on chromosomes 2A, 5A and 6B, respectively, whereas one QTL was detected on chromosome 5A under greenhouse conditions. These QTL explained 6.2-13.7% of the total phenotypic variation. The QTL identified in this study mapped to genomic regions with previously reported QTL for FHB resistance, except for one QTL (Qfhb.ndwp-5A.2) on chromosome 5A which explained 6.6% of the phenotypic variation. The markers associated with the QTL for type I resistance will be useful for selection and pyramiding of different types of FHB resistance in breeding programs.

©Copyright 2021 by individual authors. All rights reserved. No part of this abstract or paper publication may be reproduced without prior permission from the applicable author(s).