USWBSI Abstract Viewer

2022 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum

Food Safety and Toxicology (FST)

Poster # 119

The Role of Fusarium Damaged Kernels in DON Accumulation during the Malting of FHB Infected Wheat

Authors & Affiliations:

Zhao Jin 1
1. Department of Plant Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58108, USA
Corresponding Author: Zhao Jin, zhao.jin@ndsu.edu

Corresponding Author:

Zhao Jin
zhao.jin@ndsu.edu

Abstract:

The considerable increase of Deoxynivalenol (DON) levels was observed during the malting of FHB infected hard-red spring wheat in my previous research. In this study, the role of Fusarium damaged kernels (FDKs) was evaluated by separating the malting of FDKs and healthy wheat kernels. With the naturally FHB infected wheat, DON contents increased from 0.65±0.11 µg/g to 2.42±0.23 µg/g following malting. The content of DON increased from 2.96±0.43 µg/g to 19.38±4.26 µg/g during the malting of FDKs, but no significant (p>0.05) increase of DON contents (i.e. <0.50 µg/g) was found in the malting of healthy kernels. With the severely FHB infected wheat (i.e. wheat inoculated with F. graminearum using a grain spawn method in the field), DON contents increased from 4.22±0.55 µg/g to 18.55±4.07 µg/g following malting. The content of DON increased from 8.26±1.48 µg/g to 41.11±6.31 µg/g during the malting of FDKs, but no significant (p>0.05) increase of DON contents (i.e. <1.00 µg/g) was found in the malting of healthy kernels. The fungal hyphae were observed extremely heavy in the wheat and malt FDKs that contained high contents of Fusarium Tri5 DNA and DON (i.e. up to 276.72 µg/g), versus the relatively healthy kernels. The results indicated that wheat FDKs were responsible for the DON accumulation during malting, which associated with the interior infection of Fusarium hyphae within the kernels.

©Copyright 2022 by individual authors. All rights reserved. No part of this abstract or paper publication may be reproduced without prior permission from the applicable author(s).