2008 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum
December 2-4, 2008
Crowne Plaza Hotel
Indianapolis, IN USA
In December 2008, the USWBSI will hold its annual conference, the 2008 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum. It will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Historic Union Station in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. The Forum is an integral component of the U.S. Wheat & Barley Scab Initiative. Growers and grower group representatives, millers and other food processors, consumers, and scientists (public and private) are all urged to attend.
Please check back periodically for updated information.
The Forum will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 2, and end around 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 4. The program will consist of speaker and poster sessions, and focused group discussions. A draft of the full program will be available by late August or early September. Please check back frequently for updated information.
- Session 1: FHB Management (MGMT) (Tuesday, 12/2)
- Session 2: Pathogen Biology and Genetics (PBG) (Tuesday, 12/2)
- Session 3: Food Safety, Toxicology, and Utilization of Mycotoxin-contaminated Grain (FSTU) (Wednesday, 12/3)
- Session 4: Gene Discovery and Engineering Resistance (GDER) (Wednesday, 12/3)
- Session 5: Variety Development and Host Resistance (VDHR) (Thursday, 12/4)
- Tuesday: MGMT and PBG
- Wednesday AM: FSTU and GDER
- Wednesday PM: VDHR
Click here to view the Forum program. (Updated: 11/11/08)
On-line registration is now open. The registration fee (US$125.00; US$160.00 after November 3) is handled in conjunction with the on-line registration process (i.e. not through the hotel). Advanced registration is REQUIRED. The registration fee includes the following:
- Forum materials including one copy of the Forum proceedings; and
- Refreshment Breaks and the following Meals:
- Tuesday, 12/2 - Dinner
- Wednesday, 12/3 - Breakfast and Lunch
- Thursday, 12/4 - Breakfast
To register for the 2008 National FHB Forum, click here.
Special Pricing: Click here for information and pricing for companion meal packages and one-day registration option.
The Forum will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. The Crowne Plaza is a smoke-free facility. Participants are responsible for making (and paying for) their own reservations directly with the hotel using a credit card, and are guaranteed special room rates (see rates below) between the dates of November 26 - December 9.
- $97.00+tax/night for singles (King and Crowne Plaza King) and doubles
- $107.00+tax/night for a Train Car
- $169.00+tax/night for a Master King Suite
For more information on the room types and amenities, click here.
These low room rates are based upon the expectation that Forum participants will stay at this hotel. To reserve a hotel room at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at one of the special rates, please click here to make your reservations on-line. Once you have opened the Hotel's Website, enter your arrival and departure dates. In the 'Group Code' box enter USW. Reservations may also be made by calling the hotel directly at 317-631-2221. Please inform the reservation agent that you wish to make the reservation under the 'U.S. Wheat & Barley' group. This will ensure that your reservation is booked under our group with the special room rate.
Hotel reservations must be made by Wednesday, November 12th. After November 12th, the rooms that have been held for the Forum participants will be released (including special rate), and sold on a first come first serve basis.
TRAVELING TO THE FORUM
- Traveling by Air: Forum participants should fly into the Indianapolis International Airport (IND). To get to the Crowne Plaza (8 miles from airport), there are several options (taxi, rental car, etc.). Click here for more information.
- Traveling by Car: There is a link on the Hotels's reservation page to obtain driving instructions from various points of direction (click here).
- U.S. Visa Information - NOTE: If you wish to request a 'Letter of Invitation' in order to obtain a U.S. Visa, you must first complete the on-line registration process (including payment).
Forum participants can report research results in one of the following formats: 1) poster plus associated paper; 2) poster with an associated abstract; or 3) stand-alone paper. There is no limit to the number of poster abstracts or papers submitted by one author. Please click here for more information on the submission of poster/papers for the 2008 National FHB Forum.
The Proceedings, which will be available prior to the start of the Forum, are not meant to act as a formal scientific reference but rather as a means of increasing communication both during and after the Forum. Readers will be informed that reproduction or referencing of reports can only occur with the author's permission. Although one copy of the proceedings is included with the registration fee, additional copies can be purchased on-line.
Cancellations made on or before November 3rd will receive a full refund. Cancellations received after November 3rd will receive a partial refund. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after November 12th.
If your company or organization is interested in sponsoring a portion of the Forum (i.e. Proceedings, Conference Materials, Reception, Meals, etc.), please contact the USWBSI's Networking & Facilitation office (contact information listed below). Recognition will be given both during the Forum and in the Forum proceedings.
Sponsors as of 10/9/08:
Amercian Malting Barley Assoc.
Sierra-Nevada Brewing Company
(Click on sponsor's logo to access their designated Website.)
|Oct. 29th:||Deadline for registration of Posters/Papers/Abstracts.|
||Deadline for Early Registration - Fee: US$125.00.
Last day to receive full refund.
||Deadline for the submission of abstract and paper content for the Forum proceedings. (Extended)
Late registration begins - Fee: US$160.00.
||Last day to reserve hotel with guaranteed availability and rate.
Last day to receive partial refund.
|Nov. 21st:||Registration closes.|
- Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association
- Indianapolis Tourism and Travel Guide
- The President Benjamin Harrison Home
- Indianapolis Zoo
- The Children's Museum of Indianapolis
If you have any questions regarding the 2008 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum, please contact the Networking and Facilitation Office at 517-355-0271 ext. 183 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Mailing address listed below:
ATTN: Susan Canty
USWBSI's Networking & Facilitation Office
380 Plant and Soil Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1325